Copyright © 2014-2017 Software Developer Life Blog - All Rights Reserved.
Subscribe to Software Developer Life Blog
Search Articles Of My Blog

2017-04-01

My Experience With Hemorrhoids And Migraines



Is Stress The Main Problem?

Have you ever had migraines or hemorrhoids? Well, Marvin Grossberg and Mia Fey will let you know they have one! Although they are fictional characters in a courtroom trial from a visual novel adventure video game, we all know how stressful a job of an attorney is. We attribute migraines and hemorrhoids symptoms being aggravated by stress. In addition, lifestyle habits that keep us overweight (Grossberg BMI can be categorized as overweight) and quick temper (Throughout the game, Mia Fey is not your most anal character, but will definitely want you to keep things organized or else) can play a secondary role why you have migraines and hemorrhoids in the first place. Speaking about courtroom trials, it is definitely stressful going with testimonies that contradict with evidence. Similarly, when you work in a white collar job, you have people with different type of business reports that print different results for the same definitions. You have to cross-examine and find out the key piece evidence that makes that contradiction in the first place. A white collar job is no different than a detective saying out loud "There is only one source of truth!". Not to mention, your co-workers may seem that they are in a quick hurry on fixing this thing. Events like these are like a car accident within the main highway, leaving a traffic jam for the rest of the drivers. Conclusively, stressful experiences abound for both your average lawyer and white collar worker.

But is stress the actual cause? And is lifestyle changes and meditation the only way to remedy the effect? Although they can be, my experiences with migraines and hemorrhoids were different. Fortunately, the experiences that I had so far with a migraine and hemorrhoids were very mild. For those people who have severe conditions with migraines or hemorrhoids, it is best to consult a doctor.

Migraines - That throbbing sensation in your head


 When disaster strikes, the helmet will come to save the day.

Most people acquire migraines after they go into an accident. Mine was just your common bike accident. Unfortunately, I didn't wear a helmet at that time. Although I wear a helmet regularly when I bike, I was too confident that I did not need one as I was only going for a basic stroll while doing my normal errands. Nevertheless, the chances of getting injured that day were very high as I was carelessly juggling things by typing messages on my smartphone in my left hand while strolling my bike slowly in the sidewalks of a park. It was my most careless mistake I did ever in my life and I only did it because someone on the other side of the phone was very attentive on getting a response to me over a specific matter. Suddenly, I got a surprise. One of the sidewalk ramps was unusual from the rest I usually encounter. The slope was steep from the rest of them. It was almost like the shape of a spoon. Suddenly, I felt a rush of acceleration from my bike and it was very hard to control it with only one hand. I think I made it worse by hitting hard the brakes immediately after that. Pushing the brakes pulled my body out from the bike, floating forwards in mid-air. Both my body and forehead made an impact on the concrete asphalt. The force of my body was strong enough that my head had to still grind the concrete asphalt road until I got to a complete stop. My forehead was bleeding from the grind. I went to a local restaurant nearby and they voluntary offered me tissues and other first aid kits to clean up the mess on my forehead.

Days forward and I started to have some mild symptoms from the accident. I started to feel disoriented on occasions. Thankfully, that disorientation slipped away after a while. However, weeks later from the accident, I started to have a mild throbbing pain in my head from time to time. And it did not seem that doing nothing would go away over time. I went to a doctor and explained the situation of my accident. I was kind of worried and wanted to know the facts straight whether my accident had any impact on the symptoms I recently had. Maybe an X-Ray could help to diagnose the problem. However, the science of how the brain works to this day in the medical industry is still a mystery. The benefits over the cost of doing an X-Ray to the brain does not give much valuable information as for when doing an X-Ray to your teeth. After all, there are no much practical applications in the fields of neurology. For further enlightenment, you can get a glimpse how the medical industry has done so much slow progress on tackling brain deficiencies by watching the movie Concussion. For many years, it was neglected that multiple head impacts, such as in a game of American Football, were the main cause of the several mental disorders that were diagnosed by Athletes (I do have some personal development notes about that in one of my past blog posts). So like any traditional practitioner would do in our current situation and given my symptoms were very mild, they assured me to be less worried about it unless my symptoms ever got worse. However, some startups, such as Neuralink, are disrupting the industry by finding ways on alleviating the symptoms of dangerous and chronic medical conditions in the brain, such as Parkinson Disease.

I learned a lot from my accident. Besides playing it safe, bike taught me to pay more attention to my surroundings, especially blind spots.

Remedies

1. Not focusing too much on the screen

Spend less time on the screen to avoid getting disoriented

This is not a very easy task if in your daily workplace you have to face the screen all the time. If you cannot avoid facing the screen in your workplace, try to avoid facing the screen after your work. Limit the things that you could do regularly before, such as watching a movie, playing a video game, and surfing the web. Besides screen time gets you overloaded with too much information to process, movies and games you were comfortable with may start to disorient you with its rapid motion. For the first few months, I tried to stroll out to the malls and stores, leaving the video games I used to play for another time.

2. Doing a haircut


Spot the difference

For those who keep their hair long, a hair cut may kind of help. Actually, doing hair cut often for keeping my hair short kept my migraines at bay. Besides lifting off some weight from your head, it helps the skin of your head get more oxygen.

3. Sleeping enough

This is straightforward and important. If you do not sleep, your body will not replenish to its full potential. That includes your head.

Hemorrhoids - The Harlem Shake that is going from behind

I never knew what hemorrhoid actually was until I got one. I thought that I did the best hygiene, diet, and toilet practices for keeping my digestive system in shape. However, something was itching on my back and I did not know what it was. I did not notice I missed some corners after I got diagnosed from a doctor that I had hemorrhoid. Hemorrhoids may be the next irritating thing after migraines and they may get worse the more you neglect and do not treat them properly. Hemorrhoid gets worse the more irritation it gets from friction and pressure from the body. I had to find ways to reduce the irritation.

Remedies

1. Regular hygiene and hemorrhoid positioning

The way I cleaned my back was not thorough enough. During a shower, most of us clean our back in the laziest way possible. Try to find a positioning wide enough that cleans your back properly and thoroughly. Hygiene is very important and it keeps the itchiness at bay.

In addition, hemorrhoid may get irritated from the pressure from the body. Try to position hemorrhoid in a place where it gets less pressure from the body. Tucking it in helped me in the long run.

2. Wet wipes
Buy a stack. Take one along with you.

After going to the toilet, you should clean yourself in the shower instead of wiping it off with toilet paper. Sometimes that is not possible because you are in a workplace environment. Instead, buy some wet wipes that will not irritate your hemorrhoid. This helped me tremendously from having further hiccups of my hemorrhoid being irritated from the use of toilet paper. Buy a stack of them and keep them on your desk and take one along with you whenever you go to the toilet.

3. Toilet and diet habits


The oil of the digestive system: Blending some fruit with probiotic yogurt.

The last important thing is your toilet and diet habits. I used to force myself going to the toilet instead of going only when I had the urge to and I thought that was OK. I thought that as long as I could do potty with the use of some force, I kept my digestive system in shape and I thought that was OK.

Although it is very healthy going to the potty, it is even healthier if you can go to potty with the least force. The more force you use, the more marginal gains exist on improving your toilet and diet practices. It may be one of the reasons why you have hemorrhoid in the first place. For toilet practices, try to see if you can go to the toilet whenever you have the urge to rather than preparing ahead of time or delaying it for later. For diet practices, try to eat as much fiber and probiotics as possible for keeping your digestive system in shape. You can include in your diet some granola bars that punch a lot of fiber and probiotic yogurt. I started eating once a week some probiotic yogurt with fruits. I can feel my digestive system being much better ever since.